This super easy recipe, inspired by (the one and only) Nigella, is fantastic as a no-stress dish to cook for a few people for a weekend lunch or evening meal. It uses a handful of store cupboard ingredients, so no need to worry about rushing off to the (super)market to grab specific fresh ingredients mid-week.
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- A packet of 6 sausages
- 2 cans of butter beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can of whole cherry tomatoes in juice
- 1 jar of flame roasted peppers – chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- garlic oil
- A pinch of salt
- A twist of pepper
- In a large griddle pan or flameproof casserole dish with a lid, place the sausages. Drizzle over a little garlic oil over them and brown on all sides. I drizzle the oil over the sausages rather than in the pan to reduce the oil smoking too much.
- Add the drained butter beans, flame roasted peppers and whole cherry tomatoes (and their juice). Fill the now empty can of tomatoes about half full with water, swill round to collect any remaining tomatoes juices and add to the pan. Finally add the bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave to simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes until the sausages are cooked.
- Take the lid off and turn up the heat for about 5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove the sausages and slice chunkily, then add back to the pan before ladling out into dishes. Serve with thick slices of ciabatta.